Biomedical Engineering Shop Policies
The Department of Biomedical Engineering Shop is located in B-18 Hallowell Building. Hours of shop access are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. only.
Shop Equipment Skill Level List
Power Tools: Skill Level 1
- Delta Belt/Disk Sander
- Saber Saw (Handheld)
- 10” and 18” Craftsman Band Saw
- Drill (Handheld)
- Power Saw (Handheld)
Industrial Equipment: Skill Level 2
- Jet 8” Bench Grinder
- 5” and 9” Bench Lathe
- Jet Turret Milling Machine
Before any equipment can be used, students and staff MUST pass the The Learning Factory training courses. To operate the Skill Level 1 power tools, a “Safety/Power Tool” training class MUST be completed in advance. To operate the Skill Level 2 power tools a “Machining 1” training class MUST be completed in advance.
Biomedical Engineering Shop Safety Regulations
For your protection and others around you, the following rules must be observed while working in the manufacturing shop of the Department of Biomedical Engineering.
- Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) approved safety glasses or goggles must be worn in all areas of the biomedical engineering shop. Safety glasses must have wrap-around side shields. Students must provide their own glasses.
- Only students who have completed the “Safety/Power Tool” training class are permitted to be in shop area from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Long pants, short-sleeve shirts, and socks are required while operating machines. Shorts, dresses, dangling or loose clothing will not be tolerated for safety reasons. Neckties must be removed.
- Shoes must have closed toes and cover the entire foot.
- Long hair must be tied back so that it will not fall into a machine or your work area.
- All jewelry (rings, necklaces, bracelets, watches, etc.) must be removed while operating any machinery.
- Have a clear understanding of the operation and intended purpose for each piece of equipment. Equipment can only be used for its intended initial purpose. For example, do not use the bench grinder as a Plexiglas sander.
- Instruction manuals for all machines are available upon request. If you have any doubts or questions, ask for assistance before operating machines.
- Please respect others in the lab. If a class is in session, do not use any loud machinery.
- Working alone is prohibited. There must be at least two individuals present in the shop area who have completed the “Safety/Power Tool” training courses before machinery may be operated.
- Do not attempt to repair or alter machines at any time. If there is a problem, notify shop personnel (Gene Gerber) immediately and do not operate the machine.
- Anyone working in an unsafe manner will be asked to leave immediately and their working privileges will be revoked.
- It is strictly prohibited to be in the biomedical engineering shop while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Anyone found in the facility under the influence will have their access privileges permanently revoked.
- Please respect and preserve the facility. Clean up your own mess and return all tools to their proper place.
- Students may only use the facilities for items which are related to a course in which they are currently enrolled or involved with a current faculty sponsored research.
- For faculty sponsored research, it is the responsibility of the principle investigator to insure the proper training course has been taken by their students.
Biomedical Engineering Shop Signature Form
Before using the shop you must read, sign, and have on file a copy of the Biomedical Engineering Department Shop Safety Regulations.